When You Need an Appeal
Legal cases don’t always end in the trial court. If you are dissatisfied with a ruling from your judge or jury, you may be able to appeal to a higher court. Even if you are happy with the result in the trial court, you may have to defend against an appeal from the other side. In either case, you need a lawyer with expertise in appeals.
For over 20 years, David Zuckerman has focused on criminal appeals, criminal postconviction petitions, and civil appeals. His clients have included parents engaged in divorce proceedings, police officers accused of misconduct, and death row prisoners. Because appeals are handled mostly by mail or electronic filing, David takes cases from any part of Washington State. He is licensed to practice in the Washington Courts of Appeals, the Washington Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
In some cases, the court system is not the best hope for relief in a criminal case. Maureen Devlin, a licensed attorney for over 25 years, currently focuses on clemency petitions and Indeterminate Sentence Review Board (ISRB) proceedings, including those pursuant to the new rules for certain juveniles sentenced to lengthy prison sentences and general advocacy with the Department of Corrections.
- Maureen participates in a radio interview regarding the Washington clemency process. Listen to the interview here.
- New clemency initiative for federal prisoners. See the Department of Justice release here.
- David argues Vyas v. Chandola before the Washington Supreme Court. See the video here.
- Another clemency victory for Maureen. See the video here.
- Clemency and Pardons Board votes 4-0 in favor of Maureen’s client Michael Pritchard. See the video here.
- Defense Magazine publishes Maureen’s article on clemency. Read the article here.